If you didn’t see the program on ITV this week you can view it here plus below is a summary of the information.
Here are some bullet points from the program:-
- Back pain is the most common problem that GPs have to deal with. 10m sufferers in UK
- Costs billions in absenteeism.
- 80% of people suffer with back pain
- Rest, painkillers, Surgery, X-rays & MRIs are mostly unhelpful; MRI just show NORMAL ageing not pathology; painkillers have side effects
- Back pain is a bi-product of our sedentary lifestyle; some people are sitting for up to 10hrs per day
- SITTING IS THE NEW SMOKING
- 10,000 steps a day is a good target. Stand up every 20 mins
- Your back is a strong structure and responds to activity & exercise
- Children sit for 10 hrs a day! Some are indoors more than prisoners
- Use sit stand desks; they produce less pain & better concentration
- Get out doors and be active; improve mental & physical well-being
- Stress & anxiety; past emotional traumas; Adverse Childhood Events are triggers for back pain too
- Tai Chi; Pilates & Yoga can help with back pain
These things will all help prevent back pain however if you do strain yourself 3-6 sessions of Osteopathy should have you fit again very soon depending upon how many of the above you do. For more information about managing back pain please get in touch either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 8954 2254.